Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Am I liable for someone that has an allergy attack in my home?

I've been trying to liquidate the contents of my mother's estate by having an indoor estate sale. I broke my leg 6 months ago, so I can't lug the stuff around to have an outdoor sale. Knowing many people have allergies, I put a big sign on the front door "THERE ARE CATS IN THE HOUSE - IF YOU HAVE ALLERGIES, BE ADVISED." If someone rings the doorbell I also give them a verbal warning so later they can't say they they didn't see the sign - and you'd have to be Stevie Wonder not to see it. Last Saturday two women entered the house and I asked them if they had allergies to cats. They didn't confirm or deny it - they just pushed past me and started rummaging through the house contents. They weren't inside more than a minute when one started gasping and wheezing. She couldn't even talk and she was grasping at her throat. The woman with her helped her outside. They walked down the front sidewalk, then stopped. I saw the effected woman bend over and the other was holding on to her. They stayed there a few minutes, then walked to the curb. The effected woman sat down on the curb while the other woman hovered over her. They stayed there about 5 minutes, then slowly walked back to their car. Now I've had asthma attacks and this looked like one, but I wanted to know if this woman could press charges against me for her "pain and suffering" or anything else for that matter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment